Mia Mhanna, Certified Dietician;
Work, family and home obligations might make anyone run out of energy and want to take a nap! If this is the case, then you're not alone! Women of all ages seem to be suffering from an energy deficit these days.
As a hustling woman, there are numerous potential factors for your low energy levels, one main reason is a non-balanced diet.
Many products are marketed as energy boosters may be found in stores including Energy Drinks with zero nutritional values. Fortunately, you can take steps to increase your energy levels just by following some Natural Energy-Boosting Diet tips.
1-Cut Junk Food
Your blood sugar may rise and then drop as a result of eating junk food that is heavy in processed sugar. You will feel drained and worn out after this up and down.
Skip the junk food and increase the healthy meals throughout the day to maintain your energy levels.
2-Consume Caffeine Moderately
Having a cup of coffee can help you focus because caffeine does assist make you more alert 5 to 30 mins after consumption. Yet you must consume it carefully especially after 2pm to prevent having insomnia as the effect can last up to 12 hours.
Also, too much caffeine will cause a blood sugar crash, thus, energy depletion.
3-Drink More Water
Water has been demonstrated to improve performance and energy especially in endurance exercises.
One of the initial symptoms that your body needs more fluids is tiredness.
Women should consume 12 cups (2.7 liters) of fluids a day according to The U.S. National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine
4-Follow Healthy Eating Habits
Carbohydrates are the body's primary source of fuel as they can be swiftly turned into glucose
For immediate energy, consuming a small snack of carbohydrates is an excellent option.
However, for a longer-lasting energy, add protein along with your carbohydrates to slow down the rate at which your body absorbs them.
Add to this, Foods that are heavy in fat can contribute to feeling tired and exhausted.
So, the core of an energizing diet is a variety of meals that include protein, complex carbs, and limited portions of good fats.
Follow our Suggested Diet Plan for a Natural Energy Boost!
Make sure to include protein-rich foods. whole grain carbs and fruits/vegetables.
- Scrambled eggs + whole wheat toast + vegetables.
- 1 cup oatmeal with milk and fresh fruits, nuts or seeds, and cinnamon
- Whole-wheat toast with cheese or turkey and vegetables
- Always start with a fresh salad, it is packed with fibers, which will help you feel full for a longer period and release energy
- Include a source of protein: it can be from animal source or plant-based source (lentils, beans, peas...)
- Include a source of complex carbs (whole wheat bread, whole grain pasta, baked potato…)
- Whole grain pasta mixed with your favorite veggies like peppers, carrots, tomato and a source of lean protein (Grilled chicken / lean steak/Tuna/crab /turkey...)
- Whole-wheat bread topped with low-fat cheese
- turkey/ grilled chicken/tuna sandwich on whole-grain bread with veggies
Eat one of these snacks mid-morning, mid-afternoon and in the evening if you're still hungry and active.
- 1/2 cup dried fruit mixed with nuts
- Apple/banana with peanut butter
- Carrots/cucumbers/cherry tomato with 2 tablespoons Hummus
- 3 cups of popcorn
- 1 -2 pcs dark chocolate
- Nuts High in polyunsaturated fats with traces of protein: up to 2 tbsp. a day is ideal.
- Oatmeal This nutritious grain is ideal for breakfast. Add some banana or dried fruit!